Looking for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow? Here are some tips from the City of Largo to help save green by going green:
- Reusable water bottles and mugs-Each year in the US we spend about 11.8 billion on bottled water the average person uses 167 water bottles per year. It takes three times the amount of water to produce a bottle of water than the water inside of the bottle. Disposable coffee cups are responsible for 23lbs. of waste per person per year. Some coffee establishments offer discounts for reusable cups.
- Cloth diapers: The average parent can spend nearly $1,000 each year for the first 3 years. Cloth diapers are a one time investment of less than $500.
- Draw the shades: Keeping Florida homes cool during the hot months is a huge cost. Simply closing your shades in the middle of the day, especially if you are not home takes strain off the air conditioner and your wallet.
- Fix stuff: We have so many more resources to fix items rather than pitching them. This could save hundreds or even thousands of dollars for the DIYers.
- Have a Yard Sale or Freecycle-Rather than pitching your gently-used items have a yard sale to bring in a little extra green. The remaining items can be donated or FreeCycled.