Tom Cruise reveals 'Top Gun 2' to start filming soon

- The Danger Zone may have gotten old and dusty, but Tom Cruise says he's about to fly back in.

The 54-year-old actor says the long-discussed sequel to "Top Gun" is a sure thing and should start shooting soon.

Cruise made the announcement Wednesday in response to questions from anchors on the Australian morning news show "Sunrise."

The actor said filming will likely begin within the next year. He added, "It's definitely happening."

Cruise has said in similar interviews that the film was in development and a strong possibility, but has not offered such clear confirmation.

The 1986 Reagan-era flyboy epic propelled Cruise to superstar status.

Jerry Bruckheimer, producer of the original, had been dropping hints too. He posted a picture of himself and Cruise on Saturday's 31st anniversary of the original's release.

Up Next:


Up Next

  • Tom Cruise reveals 'Top Gun 2' to start filming soon
  • Barbara Sinatra, wife of Frank Sinatra, dead at 90
  • Michael Kors takes over shoemaker Jimmy Choo
  • New Harry Potter ride coming to Universal Orlando
  • Linkin Park releases statement about band member's death
  • A scientific explanation for 'Hanger'
  • Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington dies of apparent suicide
  • Mariah is making a drama series about her life
  • Everything coming to Walt Disney World that you need to know about
  • George Romero, creator of 'Night of the Living Dead,' passes away at age 77