Makes approximately 20, 1-inch slices
- 2 lbs. frozen bread dough, thawed and allowed to rise until it's doubled in size
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. Italian sausage, cooked and drained on a paper towel
- 3 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. If you're using a pizza stone, place it in the oven to preheat as well.
- Roll out bread dough into a rectangle, about 1 foot long by 1 1/2 feet wide.
- Crumble cooked sausage evenly over the dough. Try to get as close to the edge as possible. This ensures sausage in every bite!
- Evenly sprinkle cheese over the sausage.
- Starting from the top and working toward the bottom, roll dough into a log shape. You can gently tuck the ends under to keep some of the goodies from falling out!
- Let the dough rise again, 20-30 minutes.
- Place bread on the pizza stone or greased baking sheet, and brush dough lightly with olive oil.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, until bread is golden brown and the bread develops a hard crust.
- Let cool, and slice it up! You can eat it plain, or spread with butter or cream cheese, dip into olive oil or marinara sauce... Whatever you like!
**There are many variations of this bread that also include chopped olives, spinach, and other veggies. Choose the ones you like, just try to stick to those that don't have a lot of juice and are patted dry with paper towels before incorporating into the dough. This prevents the bread from getting soggy!