TAMPA (FOX 13) - FOX 13's Traffic Reporter, Vanessa Ruffes, may know her way around the Tampa Bay area, but she also knows her way around the kitchen, too!
Here's the recipe for her fish tacos with radish & tomatillo slaw.
Servings: Approx. 4-6 tacos
- 1 lb. fish filet (I choose a white fish -- grouper, tilapia, cod, turbot, whatever you like or is on sale!)
- Flour, for coating fish filets
- Queso fresco, for crumbling on top
- Lime juice
- Sliced green onion, for garnish
- Soft small tortillas (corn or flour)
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- 2 cups coleslaw salad mix
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup finely sliced red onion
- 1/2 tomatillo, finely diced
- 2 tbs. white wine vinegar
- 4 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs. hot sauce
- Prepare the slaw topping by combining coleslaw mix, sliced radishes, red onion, and tomatillo in a mixing bowl.
- Drizzle with white wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, hot sauce. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Toss salad and set to the side.
- Season fish filet (or filets) with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne on both sides. Then lightly flour each side.
- Heat a little olive oil (or other cooking oil or spray) In a skillet or frying pan, on medium heat. When it comes to temperature, add fish and fry for a few minutes on each side. Fish is done when it's golden-brown and meat turns from translucent to opaque white. Using a knife, break it into chunks.
- Build your tacos! Start with a few chunks of the fish in a tortilla, top with slaw mix, some crumbles of queso fresco, sliced green onion (or cilantro, if you like), and a squeeze of fresh lime.