Shrimp Lettuce Wraps (About 6 wraps)
- 1/2-lb. medium shrimp
- 12 leaves butter lettuce
- Salt & pepper, for seasoning
- Avocado, cut into slices
- Tomato, sliced thinly
- 1 ear of corn, roasted or grilled
- 2 tbs. chives, finely chopped
- Zest & juice of 1 lime
- 4 tbs. olive oil (preferably light or milder tasting)
- 1 small clove garlic, finely minced
- 3/4 tsp. Chipotle powder
- 2 tbs. sour cream
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Roast or grill your corn. I put the ear of corn on the top rack in the oven, under the broiler on HIGH. Corn is done after about 15 minutes. Keep an eye on it, and turn it every few minutes so it browns evenly. After the corn is cool enough to handle, slice the kernels off and set to the side.
- In a blender or food processor, combine dressing ingredients and blend until everything is thoroughly incorporated. (NOTE: If you've never used Chipotle powder and are unfamiliar with the heat level, I'd suggest starting with 1/4 tsp. of powder, blending the dressing, then tasting! Continue adding powder in 1/4-tsp. increments and tasting until you hit the heat level you like.)
- In a pan on medium heat, heat some olive oil. Add shrimp and season them lightly with salt and pepper. Shrimp will cook in about 5 minutes, turn them over about halfway through the cooking time. Shrimp are done when they turn pink and start to curl up.
- Build your lettuce wraps. I like to double up 2 leaves of lettuce per wrap, so you have a strong foundation for your toppings. Layer on a few shrimp, a tomato slice, an avocado slice, a small spoonful of roasted corn, a drizzle of sauce and then a pinch of chives. Try not to overload the wraps! Feel free to experiment with toppings... black beans, thinly sliced red onion, whatever you like!
This recipe and others from Vanessa available on her food blog: www.foodshelikes.com!