TAMPA (FOX 13) - Florida Hospital Centra Care is offering free flu shots in hopes more people will be vaccinated.
With the flu at epidemic levels this season and a shortage of antiviral medications used to treat the flu, the hospital encourages those who are able to have the vaccine to get one.
Residents can go to any of the six Tampa-area Centra Care locations beginning Wednesday, January 31 through Friday, February 2 from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. to get a free flu shot. Locations are listed at the bottom of this article.
The flu has claimed the lives of at least 30 children so far this season including some deaths in Florida.
Some school districts have been forced to close to help stop the spread of the virus.
The CDC warns that this year's flu season will likely extend well into April.
Centra Care doctors are also working to dispel myths that this year's vaccine is not effective. They say the shot they administer is quadrivalent, meaning it protects against four different strains of flu.
Health officials also say a strain other than the one we are currently experiencing could be headed our way.
Tampa-area Centra Care locations include:
- Brandon/Riverview Centra Care - 10222 Bloomingdale Ave, Riverview, FL 33578; 813-515-5814
- Carrollwood Centra Care - 4001 W. Linebaugh Ave, Tampa, FL 33624; 813-644-6991
- Citrus Park Centra Care - 6930 Gunn Hwy, Tampa, FL 33625; 813-792-2550
- South Tampa Centra Care - 301 N Dale Mabry Hwy, Tampa, FL 33609; 813-284-0985
- Temple Terrace Centra Care - 5802 E Fowler Ave, Temple Terrace, FL 33617; 813-442-7493
- Wesley Chapel Centra Care - 1127 Bruce B Downs Blvd., Wesley Chapel, FL 33543; 813-973-2889