Poison control centers see spike in children swallowing hand sanitizer

On Monday, a 6-year-old girl from Georgia was hospitalized after drinking hand sanitizer, a incident that reflects an increase in similar incidents.

According to analysis by the Georgia Poison Center, calls coming in to centers nationwide have increased from 3,266 in 2010 to 16,117 in 2014— a nearly 400 percent increase.

The young Georgia girl, Nhaijah Russell, was unable to walk, slurred her words and ended up falling and hitting her head. She was hospitalized overnight after consuming three or four squirts of hand sanitizer, which she said tasted like strawberry, CNN reported.

Russell’s blood alcohol level was .179, twice what’s considered legally drunk in an adult, according to Dr. Chris Ritchey, who treated her at Gwinnett Medical Center near Atlanta.

Click here for more from foxnews.com

Up Next:


Up Next

  • Poison control centers see spike in children swallowing hand sanitizer
  • Serious crash shuts down westbound lanes of Courtney Campbell Causeway
  • Deputies: Escaped prisoner may have stolen vehicle
  • 9-foot alligator kills woman's dog in St. Petersburg
  • Documentary on fallen officers screened at Tampa Theatre
  • Family dog guards children, pulls through after snake bite
  • Ybor City beating, robbery caught on camera
  • Unborn baby dies, five injured in Largo crash
  • Tampa church holds vigil for unity, Charlottesville victims
  • Florida-based inventors make ZenCrate for anxious dogs