Video: e-cigarette explodes on bus

It was terrifying moments for a California man on Wednesday when his e-cigarette exploded in his pocket.

The incident was caught on surveillance video.  It happened on a city bus in Fresno.  The footage shows the victim sitting down before the explosion.  The blast set his leg on fire.

The 53-year-old man suffered minor burns to his right thigh and hand.

It is just the latest in a string of exploding e-cigarettes.  Just last month, a man in New York's Grand Central Terminal suffered leg and hand burns after his e-cigarette exploded in his pants pocket.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration, which started regulating e-cigarettes in May, said it received reports about 66 explosions in 2015 and early 2016, after recording 92 explosions from 2009 to September 2015

Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY) has called e-cigarettes "ticking time bombs" and wants the federal government to consider recalling the batteries that run them.

Last year, the federal Department of Transportation issued a rule prohibiting passengers from packing e-cigarettes in checked luggage to protect against in-flight fires.

 

READ NEXT:  Dad delivers baby at home with help over phone

Up Next:


Up Next

  • Video: e-cigarette explodes on bus
  • Phoenix woman gives birth onboard Spirit Airlines flight
  • Lockdown lifted at Alabama military post
  • Speeding man in Alpharetta pulled over with alien doll passenger
  • San Francisco man dies saving daughter from drowning
  • Strangers buy new car for Rockwall man walking to work
  • VIDEO: Dramatic rescue on Northern California river
  • 10-year-old McKinney boy creates fan to help prevent hot car deaths
  • Budget office: Senate health bill adds 22 million uninsured
  • Collin County Sheriff's Office issues warning about new Snapchat feature