Carbon monoxide sends 5 Dallas children to the hospital

- Five Dallas children were taken to the hospital Thursday after being exposed to carbon monoxide gas.

Dallas Fire-Rescue spokesman Jason Evans said their mother called 911 around 6:20 p.m. to report that they were all sick inside their apartment at The Hamptons at Lake West on Bickers Street.

When firefighters arrived they noticed the children were all exhibiting varying classic signs of CO poisoning. Everyone was moved outside and their conditions seemed to improve almost immediately, Evans said.

Initial monitoring of the apartment found traces of CO coming from a water heater. Apparently, the heater’s vent was blocked by pieces of sheet rock, causing the deadly gas to build up in the home.

The children, all between the ages of 1 and 14, were hospitalized as a precaution. They are expected to be okay.

Up Next:


Up Next

  • Carbon monoxide sends 5 Dallas children to the hospital
  • Groups gather for anti-white supremacy rally in Dallas
  • Researchers find rare 2-headed turtle
  • Ocala woman has unusual service animal
  • Man charged in Frank Rizzo statue vandalism
  • Winston solid, Bucs topple Jaguars 12-8 in preseason game
  • U.S. Marine's U-Haul stolen while moving to Santa Rosa
  • Compassionate sheriff's sergeant treats hungry family to a meal
  • Instead of giving ticket, officer helps fix broken tail light
  • 2017 Solar Eclipse: Safety tips for driving during the Great American Eclipse