Check the location of children's cellphone charger, fire department warns

A fire department is warning parents to check the location of their child’s cellphone charger due to burn risks.

The Newton New Hampshire Fire Department posted to Facebook about the dangers of charging a device on a bed or under a pillow – which is where 53 percent of children and teens charge their cellphones and tablets, the fire department said, citing new research.

Officials warned the practice can be “extremely dangerous” due to the fact that the heat generated from the charger can't dissipate.

The fire department said the charger can overheat and could result in a pillow or bed catching fire.

The post, which urges parents to check the location of their child’s charger, has been shared on Facebook nearly 25,000 times.

Up Next:


Up Next

  • Check the location of children's cellphone charger, fire department warns
  • Sandy Hook PSA 'Tomorrow's News' focuses on preventing violence today
  • Mom accused of subjecting son to 323 hospital visits, 13 surgeries
  • 'Mannequin Skywalker' rides Blue Origin's new crew capsule
  • Annual Geminid meteor shower to appear in a sky near you
  • Uber glitch charges Canadian man $14,000 for five-mile ride
  • Secret Santa pays off $40K of layaways at local Walmart
  • LAPD investigating 'Bad Santa' break-ins in Studio City
  • SUBWAY TERROR: Pipe bomb blast injures bomber, 3 others
  • Driver rescued from icy Massachusetts pond