Florida family says refrigerator exploded, damaging home

- A Florida family woke up to the sound of an explosion inside their home that they says turned out to be their refrigerator exploding. 

It happened Saturday morning at the home in West Palm Beach. 

The family said the explosion was so powerful, there was significant damage to the stove, the microwave, windows, the wall and the ceiling. “I was in my room I was asleep and I just heard the bang,” said Mark Ligondie.

A neighbor heard the explosion and the fire alarm and ran over to help the family get out safely, WPTV reported.

“The fridge exploded and if you look at this angle right here it expanded and expanded so much it bent the metal of the stove,” Ligondie told WPTV.

The family's four-month-old Whirlpool refrigerator was left in pieces scattered throughout the kitchen, Ligondie said. Luckily, no one was hurt.

After the incident, WPTV reached out to Whirlpool for comment and they responded with the following statement, "Whirlpool is committed to providing safe products for consumers. We are working quickly to look into this incident."

Up Next:


Up Next

  • Florida family says refrigerator exploded, damaging home
  • Former NFL player tackles man accused of peering into daughter's window
  • Key West moves to ban sunscreens that could damage reefs
  • Science, English, math teachers in short supply across Florida
  • Good Samaritan's pickup stolen by crash victim he was trying to help, deputies say
  • Proposed Florida bill would require high school students to take a financial course
  • Haitian eatery dishes up meals for unpaid Miami TSA workers
  • Wawa hiring 1,000 people across Florida in the next three months
  • Bible studies class proposed in Florida as elective
  • DeSantis poised to make marijuana changes