Here's why you don't plug space heaters into power strips

- A fire department is warning the public about the dangers of plugging a space heater into a power strip.

The Umatilla County Fire District in Oregon posted the warning on its Facebook page with a picture of a melted power strip.

"The weather is getting colder, and people are pulling out their space heaters. We just wanted to remind you that you should NEVER plug a heater into a power strip," the fire department wrote on its Facebook page. "These units are not designed to handle the high current flow needed for a space heater and can overheat or even catch fire due to the added energy flow. Please share and stay safe this Winter season."

The Electrical Safety Foundation International says heating equipment is the second leading cause of home fires in the U.S. with more than 65,000 fires being attributed to them each year. The ESFI reports the fire result in hundreds of deaths, thousands of injuries and millions of dollars in property damage.

Up Next:


Up Next

  • Here's why you don't plug space heaters into power strips
  • Sarah Huckabee Sanders told to leave Virginia restaurant
  • Trump hosts 'Angel Families' at White House event focused on illegal immigrant crime
  • Female jogger foils attempted kidnapping after assault
  • Supreme Court adopts new privacy rules for cellphone tracking
  • Migrant girl in photo was never separated from mother
  • Trump tells GOP to 'stop wasting their time' on immigration
  • Delta adds pit bulls to list of banned service and support animals
  • Stuffed animal used in court in MSU physicist bestiality case
  • ABC orders 'Roseanne' spinoff minus Roseanne Barr