LAKE PLACID, Fla. - It was a dangerous 4th of July for two people in Florida who were hospitalized after two separate fireworks accidents.
A 12-year-old boy from Lake Placid was airlifted to Tampa General Hospital on the 4th of July after playing with fireworks.
Highland County Sheriff's deputies said the boy was with his friends when he ignited an unknown type of firework and before he could throw it, it exploded in his hand.
Someone called the sheriff's office dispatch saying that a boy "blew his hand off" and was being transported to the hospital, deputies said.
When deputies arrived at the hospital, they said the boy severely injured his right hand and he may lose parts or some of his fingers.
He has undergone surgery and is now in stable condition.
In South Florida, fire officials say a 28-year-old man lost three fingers and was severely burned in a fireworks accident. In addition to losing fingers on his right hand, he also risks having fingers on his left hand amputated, fire officials said. The man also suffered burns to his face, torso and left hand and officials said he is in "rough shape."