Bacteria in raw seafood linked to Sarasota death

- A death caused by vibrio vulnificus, a bacteria found in raw seafood, has been reported in Sarasota County. 

The Florida Department of Health website describes vibrio vulnificus as a bacteria that lives in warm seawater. The DOH said infections by the bacteria are rare.

Information about the victim was unavailable, but officials verified the infection was due to "exposure" to raw seafood. 

Stay with FOX 13 News for updates on this developing story. 

Up Next:


Up Next

  • Bacteria in raw seafood linked to Sarasota death
  • A/C problems plague Hillsborough classrooms
  • Tampa church holds vigil for unity, Charlottesville victims
  • Elvis is in the building at Sarasota's Waffle Stop
  • K9 chases down suspect who fled during traffic stop
  • Palmetto woman snaps close encounter with bobcat
  • Community rallies to raise Confederate statue relocation funds
  • Escaped prisoner captured by Hernando County deputies
  • Polk County deputy wrangles snake and gator
  • University of South Florida welcomes new students to "The Village"