Tampa condo residents saved by carbon monoxide detector

- A carbon monoxide detector may have saved lives early Thursday morning.

Tampa police responded to a 911 call that came in after a carbon monoxide detector alarm sounded at the Cordoba and Beach Park Condos near O'Brien Street and Kennedy Boulevard.

Fire crews detected high levels of the deadly gas in one apartment building on the property. Officers and firefighters went door-to-door clearing residents out of the building.

According to police, after receiving no response from two of the units, officers made forced entry. One apartment was vacant. In the other, emergency personnel found a 32-year-old woman and her small dog-- both unresponsive. 

Firefighters administered life-saving measures, including giving both the woman and dog oxygen. The woman was transported to the hospital. The dog was taken in by a neighbor. Authorities say both are expected to survive. 

The source of the carbon monoxide was determined by authorities on scene to be a vehicle that was left running inside a closed garage in the apartment complex. 

 

Up Next:


Up Next

  • Tampa condo residents saved by carbon monoxide detector
  • Lakeland cat dies after rabid raccoon attack
  • Skimmer found in St. Pete gas pump
  • Riverview church vandalized with swastikas, racist graffiti
  • Fixed income tenants forced out of Tampa apartments
  • Homes demolished for flood relief project in Pasco Co.
  • Amateur turtle nest markers do more harm than good
  • Child critically wounded in Bradenton shooting
  • Apartments, public lazy river, retail coming to Skyway Marina District
  • France awards restitution to Gulfport Holocaust survivor