Cigarette to blame in Hernando house fire

- Hernando County firefighters were called to a house fire in Brooksville early Sunday morning.

The fire was reported around 12:45 a.m. at a home on Roper Road.

Officials said heavy smoke was coming from the house when firefighters arrived.

According to officials, no one was home during the fire, however a dog did not survive.

Firefighters said the fire started in a bedroom. After speaking to the resident, it was determined that an unattended cigarette sparked the fire.

Fire officials want to remind the public of the dangers of unattended tobacco products, especially in sleeping areas.

Up Next:


Up Next

  • Cigarette to blame in Hernando house fire
  • Manatee exhibit reopens after death of Snooty
  • Accused killer's best friend never saw signs of violence
  • Dog owner moves grave from Lake Wales city park
  • Scent preservation kit helps track missing woman
  • Dog rescued from Korea 'meat farm' is missing
  • Man allegedly threatens road rage victims with sword
  • Search and rescue volunteers train with Pasco deputies
  • "Backpacks of Hope" for students in need of school supplies
  • Viral shark-dragging video leads to FWC investigation