Chemical release causes children to get sick at Tampa pool

- Hillsborough County Fire Rescue says it was called to the Calypso Pool on Bearss Avenue around 7 p.m. Monday after a chemical release caused several people to get sick.

Five children were taken to the hospital for evaluation after complaining about stomach discomfort and nausea. They were all inside the indoor pool area at the time.

The store owner said an early afternoon thunderstorm caused a breaker to trip on one of the two indoor pool pumps. He said the pump that circulates the indoor pool water shut off while a pump that infuses chemicals into the pool water kept running, putting approximately 2.5 gallons of mixed chlorine and muriatic acid into the pipe.

These chemicals set stagnant in the pipe until the breaker to the circulating pump was repaired. When the circulating pump kicked back on, it pushed the chemical mix into the pool, causing a small cloud of chlorine gas.

Hazmat crews were called to vent and test the building. It was later determined the pool chemicals were balanced and back within safety guidelines. The building was cleared of the chlorine smell, and released back to the owner.

Up Next:


Up Next

  • Chemical release causes children to get sick at Tampa pool
  • Resident of so-called Bradenton heroin house gets 90-day sentence
  • Wild Things park faces new legal problems
  • Veterans job fair draws hundreds
  • Confederate statue moving to private cemetery
  • Reform coming to Hillsborough juvenile justice system
  • Snooty the Manatee celebrates 69th birthday
  • Man arrested in fatal Frostproof stabbing
  • Sarasota woman arrested for abusing pet dog
  • Former principal arrested again for stealing from school