LARGO (FOX 13) - Pinellas County deputies said they will increase patrols along major thoroughfares with high rates of crashes.
Monday, deputies kicked off the enforcement part of the patrols.
For a little more than three months, they've been educating drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians with warnings. Now they will begin issuing tickets for violations of the law.
Deputies said they are specifically working to reduce crashes where pedestrians and bicyclists are the victims. Drivers and bicyclists could face tickets for failure to yield, while pedestrians can be ticketed for jumping out in front of traffic or impeding the traffic flow.
A grant from the Florida Department of Transportation is making the overtime for extra enforcement possible.
The extra patrols will be in place at 18 locations throughout the county.
- Belcher Road (SR 580 to Curlew Road)
- Main Street/ SR 580 (Belcher Road to Patricia Avenue)
- 49th Street (Creekside Drive to 144th Avenue North)
- Gulf Boulevard (150th Avenue to 155th Avenue)
- US Highway 19 (Coral Landing Boulevard to Alderman Road)
- Tampa Road (Lake St. George to East Lake Woodlands Parkway)
- Gulf Boulevard (155th Avenue to 173rd Avenue)
- Ulmerton Road (Belcher Road to 58th Street North)
- US Highway 19 (62nd Avenue North to 44th Avenue North)
- Alt US Highway 19 (Tampa Road to Maryland Avenue)
- Alderman Road (Belcher Road to Cinnamon Hill Boulevard)
- 54th Avenue (37th Street North to Haines Road)
- 66th Street North (46th Avenue North to 62nd Avenue North)
- Seminole Boulevard (Walsingham Road to 94th Avenue)
- US Hwy 19 (SR 580 to Curlew Road)
- Gulf Boulevard (75th Avenue to 37th Avenue)
- Curlew Road (Belcher Road to Northridge Drive)
- Gulf Boulevard (129th Avenue West to 131st Avenue West)