Bacteria in raw seafood linked to Sarasota death

- A death caused by vibrio vulnificus, a bacteria found in raw seafood, has been reported in Sarasota County. 

The Florida Department of Health website describes vibrio vulnificus as a bacteria that lives in warm seawater. The DOH said infections by the bacteria are rare.

Information about the victim was unavailable, but officials verified the infection was due to "exposure" to raw seafood. 

Stay with FOX 13 News for updates on this developing story. 

Up Next:


Up Next

  • Bacteria in raw seafood linked to Sarasota death
  • Neo-Nazi takes plea deal on explosives charges
  • Polk rejects plan to light road where teen was killed
  • Construction begins for USF Health facilities in downtown Tampa
  • Polk to use early release days as hurricane make-up days
  • Florida schools can cut back year by 2 days due to storm
  • Train hits homeless man on railroad tracks in Lakeland
  • Shelter opened for Withlacoochee River evacuees
  • AMBER ALERT: 4 children missing from Manatee Co.
  • Wisconsin logger helps clear debris after Irma