Chemical release causes children to get sick at Tampa pool

- Hillsborough County Fire Rescue says it was called to the Calypso Pool on Bearss Avenue around 7 p.m. Monday after a chemical release caused several people to get sick.

Five children were taken to the hospital for evaluation after complaining about stomach discomfort and nausea. They were all inside the indoor pool area at the time.

The store owner said an early afternoon thunderstorm caused a breaker to trip on one of the two indoor pool pumps. He said the pump that circulates the indoor pool water shut off while a pump that infuses chemicals into the pool water kept running, putting approximately 2.5 gallons of mixed chlorine and muriatic acid into the pipe.

These chemicals set stagnant in the pipe until the breaker to the circulating pump was repaired. When the circulating pump kicked back on, it pushed the chemical mix into the pool, causing a small cloud of chlorine gas.

Hazmat crews were called to vent and test the building. It was later determined the pool chemicals were balanced and back within safety guidelines. The building was cleared of the chlorine smell, and released back to the owner.

Up Next:


Up Next

  • Chemical release causes children to get sick at Tampa pool
  • Withlacoochee expected to crest Wednesday
  • Neo-Nazi takes plea deal on explosives charges
  • Polk to use early release days as hurricane make-up days
  • Puerto Ricans on the mainland watch, wait after Maria devastates U.S. territory
  • Polk rejects plan to light road where teen was killed
  • Hillsborough County deputies rescue 103-year-old woman during Irma
  • Tampa Bay school districts announce makeup days
  • St. Petersburg police searching for looter suspect
  • Police identified woman who followed victim home and attacked her