Cigarette to blame in Hernando house fire

- Hernando County firefighters were called to a house fire in Brooksville early Sunday morning.

The fire was reported around 12:45 a.m. at a home on Roper Road.

Officials said heavy smoke was coming from the house when firefighters arrived.

According to officials, no one was home during the fire, however a dog did not survive.

Firefighters said the fire started in a bedroom. After speaking to the resident, it was determined that an unattended cigarette sparked the fire.

Fire officials want to remind the public of the dangers of unattended tobacco products, especially in sleeping areas.

Up Next:


Up Next

  • Cigarette to blame in Hernando house fire
  • Tampa police seek help identifying body
  • 12-year-old boy charged with burglarizing school
  • SUV-sized Radio Flyer drives streets of South Lakeland
  • Missing teen's family begs public: Please bring him back home
  • Stan Lee appearing at MegaCon Tampa Bay to raise money for Irma victims
  • Firefighter hits power lines, suffers burns while paragliding in St. Pete
  • Deputies need help identifying skimmer suspects
  • Woman allegedly tries to deposit fake check, leaves behind ID
  • Governor Scott to propose $50-million for opioid fight