Cigarette to blame in Hernando house fire

- Hernando County firefighters were called to a house fire in Brooksville early Sunday morning.

The fire was reported around 12:45 a.m. at a home on Roper Road.

Officials said heavy smoke was coming from the house when firefighters arrived.

According to officials, no one was home during the fire, however a dog did not survive.

Firefighters said the fire started in a bedroom. After speaking to the resident, it was determined that an unattended cigarette sparked the fire.

Fire officials want to remind the public of the dangers of unattended tobacco products, especially in sleeping areas.

Up Next:


Up Next

  • Cigarette to blame in Hernando house fire
  • Helping America's heroes, one step at a time
  • Rape suspect arrested in two St. Petersburg cold cases
  • Polk detectives look for lotto ticket scammers
  • Tampa police search for skimmer suspect
  • Clearwater police seek help finding missing teen
  • Smart meters could slow power restoration in Lakeland
  • Two Bucs players kneel during anthem, team makes statement
  • Massive supply drive underway to suppor Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria
  • Man hospitalized after Clearwater shooting