CLEARWATER (FOX 13) - The suspect in a drug-fueled burglary attempt at a Clearwater couple’s home died after being attacked with a machete by one of the residents, and then stunned six times by officers, according to the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office.
It happened at a couple's home near McMullen Booth Road and Terrace View. The view from SkyFOX showed what appeared to be blood outside the home's back door.
Sheriff Bob Gualtieri said the couple woke to 31-year-old Robert Alcade standing in the doorway of their bedroom. Gualtieri said Alcade may have been on drugs and was acting irrationally. Alcade’s father later confirmed his son was a heavy drug user.
According to records, Alcade lives in an apartment in the 1300 block of McMullen Booth Road, near Ruth Eckerd Hall, and less than a mile from the couple's home.
The initial call came in around 1 a.m. about a man walking around the neighborhood and talking to himself. Deputies responded, but said his behavior did not qualify for involuntary institutionalization under the Baker Act, so they left.
Later, just after 2 a.m., another call came about a burglary on Terrace View Lane. A neighbor told FOX 13's Kimberly Kuizon she heard a man and a woman screaming.
Detectives said Alcade had broken and entered through a front window.
When they woke up, the couple reportedly told Alcade they were calling 911, but he said he had already done so because “someone was trying to kill him.” They also said he was acting strangely, and tried to climb the walls.
The couple went outside, while the husband tried to load a rifle he had in the home. Sheriff Gualtieri said the gun malfunctioned, so the husband went inside to get a machete from underneath the bed.
Meanwhile, Alcade went to the backyard and tried to assault the wife. Detectives said the husband then attacked Alcade with the machete, severely injuring him.
Once officers arrived, they reportedly used a stun gun six times in an attempt to subdue Alcade, but it had little effect until the sixth attempt. Alcade was also given calming medication by paramedics.
He was taken to the hospital, but stopped breathing on the way, and was later pronounced dead.
The couple did not report any injuries.
Officers said they found a crack pipe, but no drugs at Alcade’s home.