Drain chemical blamed after Sarasota mom, son found dead

- Two people were found unconscious in a home Monday morning, and both have since died.

Emergency crews responded to the home on Margaret Street around 11:30 a.m. after a family member called 911. Hazmat crews were also called to the scene.

 

Police said one of the individuals inside was pronounced dead, while the other was taken to Sarasota Memorial Hospital and later died.

Neighbors say a woman and her special needs son live at the home.  Police identified the victims only as a mother, age 78, and her son, age 58.

"The hazmat situation that occurred earlier this morning involved exposure to drain opener chemicals," a police spokesperson stated.  "Detectives believe exposure to the drain opener chemicals caused the two deaths."

Detectives are still investigating.

Up Next:


Up Next

  • Drain chemical blamed after Sarasota mom, son found dead
  • Citrus shelter closed due to bacteria that could spread to humans
  • Apollo Beach house fire injures two people
  • High school senior running for Polk Co. School Board seat
  • ICE partnerships with 17 FL sheriffs to hold illegal immigrants
  • Woman who turned in suspected Seminole Heights killer thanked by city
  • Tampa, St. Pete Home Depots hiring 1,300 for spring season
  • DIY snow machine turns Lutz home into winter wonderland
  • Tampa teacher helps app developer improve arthritis care
  • Clearwater police search for 'man-bun bandit'