SARASOTA (FOX 13) - Two people were found unconscious in a home Monday morning, and both have since died.
Emergency crews responded to the home on Margaret Street around 11:30 a.m. after a family member called 911. Hazmat crews were also called to the scene.
Police said one of the individuals inside was pronounced dead, while the other was taken to Sarasota Memorial Hospital and later died.
Neighbors say a woman and her special needs son live at the home. Police identified the victims only as a mother, age 78, and her son, age 58.
"The hazmat situation that occurred earlier this morning involved exposure to drain opener chemicals," a police spokesperson stated. "Detectives believe exposure to the drain opener chemicals caused the two deaths."
Detectives are still investigating.