BRADENTON (FOX 13) - Bradenton Fire Department responded to a call Monday afternoon about a kitten in trouble. But the cat was not stuck in a tree, as cliché would suggest— it was actually stuck in a dryer vent.
The city of Bradenton Fire Department’s Facebook page posted about the incident Tuesday morning, saying “The precocious feline found its way in an open dryer vent duct and climbed up toward the attic. Firefighters accessed the attic, removed a section of the duct, and coaxed the kitten out safely.”
The kitten was safely returned to its owners, but not without a few tips from the firefighters regarding clothes dryer safety. They shared the tips on their Facebook page.
Clothes Dryer Safety Tips:
- Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional.
- Keep the area around your dryer clear of combustible materials.
- Do not use the dryer without a lint filter.
- Clean the lint filter before or after each load of laundry, and remove any lint collected around the drum.
- Proper venting materials should be used to sustain proper air flow and drying time.
- Ensure the exhaust vent pipe is not restricted and the outdoor vent flap opens when the dryer is operating.
- At least once a year, clean the lint out of the vent duct or have a dryer lint removal service do it for you.
More related safety tips can be found at http://www.nfpa.org/public-education/by-topic/safety-in-the-home/dryers-and-washing-machines/dryer-safety-tips