Man dies after being left outside Pinellas Park nursing home

Police in Pinellas Park said a man died after he was left outside a nursing home on Saturday.
Wilbert Henry Moten was taken from Gracewood Nursing and Rehabilitative Care on U.S. 19 to a hospital after nursing staff found him in an outdoor atrium.  
"They brought him inside, they were concerned about his vitals at that point," said Pinellas Park Police Sgt. Mike Lynch. "What we're hearing is that they indicated that his skin was hot to the touch."
The 65-year-old was suffering from second-degree burns, blisters and dehydration. He was pronounced deceased at the hospital.
According to police, the victim was believed to have been left in the sun for some time. Officers are investigating what contributed to the man's death and if he was being abused.
The facility's website indicates its operated by Senior Care Group, Inc, a nonprofit organization. FOX 13's Kellie Cowan reached out to staff at Gracewood on Sunday, but was told there would be no comment at this time.  
The Department of Children and Families has been notified of the man's death.
According to police, Moten, like many patients, was authorized to move about the nursing grounds unattended. They also say he suffered numerous health issues, which may have made him more sensitive to sun and heat. 
Saturday's temperatures topped out at 88 degrees. Moten is said to have been seen outside at numerous points throughout the day, the police say Gracewood staff cannot say for certain how long Moten may have been exposed to the sun.  
Up Next:

Up Next

  • Man dies after being left outside Pinellas Park nursing home
  • Former counselor takes gamble on child porn plea deal
  • Gov. Scott visits first responders in Hillsborough
  • Florida to charge road tolls again, starting Thursday
  • Forged letter, fake checks leads to Clermont woman's arrest
  • 'Museum Day Live' coming to Tampa Bay museums
  • TECO worker offers reward for lost wedding band
  • Massive debris cleanup effort underway in St. Pete
  • Sarasota teen not heard from since before Irma
  • Shelter opened for Withlacoochee River evacuees