Suspect in death of crossing guard back in jail

- The man who deputies say hit and killed a beloved Clearwater crossing guard in 2014 is back behind bars.

Julious Johnson was out on a $360,000 bond for a vehicular manslaughter charge, but on Friday the career criminal was arrested once again.

It's been two years since 70-year-old Doug Carey was hit and killed at his post. The Clearwater crossing guard and retired police officer was on the corner of Gulf-to-Bay Boulevard and Belcher Road when a car ran a red light, clipped another car in the intersection and slammed into him.

Detectives say Johnson was behind the wheel of the car that ran the red light. After causing the crash that killed Carey and injured his own children, officers say Johnson took off running.

Once police caught up to him, they realized they were dealing with a familiar face. Johnson had already been arrested more than a dozen times for marijuana, crack and cocaine possession with intent to sell.  A judge set his bond at $360,000.

Johnson managed to bond out, but he wasn't free long. On Friday he was arrested again. The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office says Johnson tried to run away from deputies during a routine traffic stop. When they caught up to him, they found 33 grams of crack cocaine inside his car.

That prompted Johnson's bail bondsman for his vehicular homicide charge to pull his bond. Now the man awaiting trial for killing a beloved crossing guard, then fleeing the scene, is facing a bond of $426,000.

That amount will likely keep him behind bars, at least until his trial. 

Up Next:

Up Next

  • Suspect in death of crossing guard back in jail
  • Helping America's heroes, one step at a time
  • Rape suspect arrested in two St. Petersburg cold cases
  • Polk detectives look for lotto ticket scammers
  • Tampa police search for skimmer suspect
  • Clearwater police seek help finding missing teen
  • Smart meters could slow power restoration in Lakeland
  • Head-on crash leaves 2 children in critical condition
  • Dade City man arrested for scalding 2-year-old
  • Contractor killed in Siesta Key by live power line