Utah toddler shreds $1,000 in cash, parents say

- A 2-year-old accidentally sent more than $1,000 through the shredder that as initially meant to purchase football tickets.

Leo Belnap’s parents, Ben and Jackee, saved $1,060 to pay back Ben’s parents. They said they borrowed the money to purchase season tickets for the University of Utah’s football games, reports KSL-TV. The envelope of money was ready to go, but it disappeared over the weekend. 

The couple searched their home, and found the cash – still inside the envelope – but inside the shredder. 

“I’m digging through the trash and she hollers and says, ‘I found it,’” Ben said. “She’s holding the shredder and she says, ‘I think the money is in here.'”

The person believed to be responsible was their son, Leo. Jackee said their son helps shred all of their bills and other documents, so he was familiar with the shredder.

“We just, for like five minutes, we just shuffled through it, not talking. We didn’t know what to do and then I broke the silence and I’m like, ‘Well, this will make a great wedding story one day,’” Jackee said.

The couple contacted the U.S. Treasury Department and may be able to get some or all of their money back, but later rather than sooner.

“I called the guy the next morning and he said, ‘Oh, we might be able to help you here,’ and I was shocked,” Ben said. “He said, ‘Bag it up in little Ziploc bags, mail it to D.C., and in one to two years, you’ll get your money back.’” 

Up Next:


Up Next

  • Utah toddler shreds $1,000 in cash, parents say
  • SJ standoff ends in gunshots; UPS driver taken hostage is safe
  • Chicago police, Fox dispute reports about Smollett attack investigation
  • Congress OKs border deal; Trump will sign, declare emergency
  • Amazon dumps NYC: Drops new headquarters plan
  • Snow storm walloped Seattle, people rescued in Sierra Nevada
  • Pro-Trump flag gets man banned from Disneyland
  • Golf course pursuit in The Villages caught on camera
  • Meteor witnessed along Florida's Atlantic Coast
  • Deadly ‘zombie' deer disease could possibly spread to humans, experts warn