Report: Woman severely burned after passing gas during surgery

- It's not something that would even seem like a possibility for an outcome of a surgery, but it happened, according to a Japanese newspaper

A patient, who was in her 30s, was undergoing an operation that involved applying a laser to her cervix, The Asahi Shimbun reported, when she passed gas, sparking a terrible fire.

The laser apparently ignited the gas, severely injuring the woman with burns to much of her body, including her waist and legs, The Asahi Shimbun reported.

The accident happened on April 15 at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital in Shinjuku Ward, but a report that was released by the hospital Oct. 28 said experts concluded that no flammable materials were in the operating room at the time and the equipment was functioning normally, the paper reported.

“When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire,” the report said.

There's no word on her condition. Her identity was not released.

Up Next:


Up Next

  • Report: Woman severely burned after passing gas during surgery
  • Instead of giving ticket, officer helps fix broken tail light
  • No glasses? Build your own eclipse-viewing box
  • Eclipses of the past were calamitous, not celebratory
  • Family holds Christmas early for dad with terminal cancer
  • Woman's long-lost diamond ring found on carrot in garden
  • Eclipse enthusiasts create traffic jam in Oregon
  • Deputies: Florida woman drunkenly bites man's fishing line, swims away
  • Turn around! Bonnie Tyler to sing 'Total Eclipse' hit during eclipse
  • Powerball jackpot reaches $535 million