California man accidentally sets apartment on fire while trying to kill spider

- A California man accidentally set his apartment on fire while trying to kill a spider, authorities say.

Redding fire officials say the man was trying to kill a wolf spider with a blowtorch.

Apparently, the spider, which was covered in flames, scurried into a nearby mattress.

Flames quickly spread from the mattress to curtains and several other items in the bedroom, fire officials said.

Residents inside the home tried to use a garden hose to put out the flames until fire crews arrived. 

Firefighters estimate the damage to the apartment to be around $11,000.

Luckily, no one was injured. The status of the spider is still unknown. 

Up Next:


Up Next

  • California man accidentally sets apartment on fire while trying to kill spider
  • Two vehicles of interest in Jayme Closs investigation
  • Suspect shot by security guard after breaking into FOX 5 building
  • Sheriff calling for 2,000 volunteers to join search for Jayme Closs Tuesday
  • Mega Millions, Powerball climb to combined $2.2 billion
  • Over 7K-strong, migrant caravan pushes on; still far from US
  • Dozens hurt in floor collapse at S. Carolina condo party
  • Study: Test shows sunlight can kill indoor germs
  • 6 shot near Jacksonville NFL stadium, just before Sunday football game
  • Ohio student's essay about being raped sends attacker to prison