DIBERVILLE, Miss. (STORYFUL) - A user on YouTube says he reported a disturbing comment by a user named "Nikolas Cruz" last year to the FBI.
Ben Bennight said he noticed the comment come through on September 24, 2017 and immediately took a screenshot of it. The comment said, "I'm going to be a professional school shooter."
Bennight said he reported the comment to YouTube then tried to contact the FBI via a "tip" email, which he said bounced back. Then, he called the local FBI field office, he said, who sent agents out to interview him.
Bennight says people regularly leave "heinous comments" on his channel, but he couldn't ignore the threat of the school shooting.
Bennight says FBI officers from Miami contacted him shortly after the school shooting on February 14.
Officials speaking at a news conference on Thursday verified the FBI investigated the YouTube comment, but the agency couldn't identify the person. Agent Rob Lasky says the agency did a database review but couldn't determine the time, location or true identity of the person making the comment.
The YouTube account with that name was deleted February 14, Buzzfeed reported.
Investigators are poring over Cruz' social media accounts, which have had photos of guns and dead animals posted on them.
Broward County School District Superintendent Robert Runcie said he did not know of any threats posed by Cruz to the school.
"Typically you see in these situations that there potentially could have been signs out there," Runcie said. "I would be speculating at this point if there were, but we didn't have any warnings. There weren't any phone calls or threats that we know of that were made."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.