Family: Ikea glass table spontaneously exploded

- A Valrico family says they had a big scare over the weekend when a glass table they bought at Ikea suddenly exploded. 

The family said no one was in the living room when suddenly they heard a loud explosion. When they went inside, they found that the Ikea glass top on their Besta furnIture had exploded, sending glass everywhere, even embedded into the wall. 

The Vaughn family said the glass shards landed right where their kids would have normally been playing if they were in the room. "I've honestly never seen anything like this," said Matthew Vaughn. 

Vaughn says they only had the table for about a year before it exploded. 

There have been other reports of the glass on Ikea furniture exploding that date back to 2015, but there have been no recalls issued. 

Ikea has responded to the incidents saying: "IKEA products are safe and our routines for quality and safety are comprehensive, but defects may still occur. If tempered glass shatters, it is often due to some kind of outside damage that has occurred after the production, like transport, handling, or normal wear in the household. 

The store that sold them the table is being notified, but the Vaughns say that table is their last Ikea purchase. 

Up Next:


Up Next

  • Family: Ikea glass table spontaneously exploded
  • Sentencing appeal rejected for man convicted in death of Tampa teen
  • Venice man arrested in hit-and-run death of 19-year-old
  • Publix suspends political donations amid anti-NRA protest
  • Polk County jail nurse gave cell phone, 'love letters' to inmate, deputies say
  • Toddler hurt in Bayshore Blvd. crash dies from her injuries
  • Man in wheelchair injures Winter Haven officers with sword, police say
  • St. Pete police search for three home invasion suspects
  • Pasco County K9 tracks, continuously barks at suspect found in woods
  • Deputies: Test drive turns into carjacking in St. Pete