Autopsy shows exploding vape pen, not fire, killed St. Pete man

- The autopsy report for a man whose vape pen exploded, causing a fire in his St. Petersburg home, shows the exploding pen -- not the fire -- killed him.

The autopsy report for Tallmadge D'elia says shrapnel from his exploding vape pen killed him. He suffered burns to 80 percent of his body.  The manner of death is reported as an accident. 

His vape device exploded on May 5, causing his St. Pete home to catch fire. 

The device was reportedly manufactured by a company in the Philippines.

Harold Weeks at Purely Vapor says, while they do happen from time to time, exploding vapes are rare.

“They're pretty problem-free, I’d definitely say,” he said. “If you were to build outside the specs of your battery, generally that’s when you run into problems."

He points out the sharp increase in popularity of vaping means more people have more devices.

“A lot of things you get with smoking are not quite present in electronic cigarettes,” Weeks said.

He says that is mainly what's driving the spike in sales and few seem to be worried about any sort of device failure.

“A vast majority of our clients are people who want to quit smoking,” he added. 

Up Next:


Up Next

  • Autopsy shows exploding vape pen, not fire, killed St. Pete man
  • Man airlifted after touching high voltage line in Pasco County
  • Man bites off golfer's finger to the knuckle at Massachusetts golf club
  • Armed fugitives arrested after standoff on Treasure Island
  • Wrong-way driver dies after Courtney Campbell crash
  • DNA might be key to solving St. Pete woman's murder, five years later
  • Father hopes to bring murdered daughter's body home to Florida
  • Shelters cleared during nationwide adoption event
  • Camp Gladiator strengthens bodies en masse at Raymond James Stadium
  • Early voting begins in Pinellas County