APOPKA, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - The police department in Apopka, Florida lost power following a lightning strike on Tuesday evening.
A severe storm rolled through the area, resulting in a lightning strike near the police department parking lot. The building lost power and the strike damaged multiple electrical transformers; however, the building’s generator kicked-in shortly thereafter.
The Apopka Fire Department responded due to a haze in the building, but no damage or fire was located. There were no injuries, but it did startle a police canine officer who was standing next to his patrol car at the time of the strike.
- RELATED: Lightning strikes Sanford International Airport runway, creating hole
- RELATED: Orlando man working on roof struck by lightning
- RELATED: Mom heartbroken after son killed by lightning strike
- RELATED: DeLand City Hall reopens after lightning strike
- RELATED: Lightning strike victim share his story of survival
- RELATED: 3 injured in New Smyrna Beach after reports of lightning