Florida woman charged after 1-year-old girl overdoses on fentanyl, deputies say

A Pasco County woman is under arrest after a child in her custody overdosed on opioids, according to Pasco County deputies.

Over the weekend, investigators say Heather Revell told them she thought she had cleaned up the blend of heroin and Fentanyl she was using, but apparently did not do a very good job.

A one-year-old girl in her custody somehow ingested the very dangerous opioids and nearly died, according to investigators. A neighbor who did not want to be identified watched as first responders rolled in.

“When the ambulance was here and I saw them taking the little baby, she looked so pathetic being in that big stretcher and she was all strapped down,” the neighbor said.

Paramedics, who are used to giving Narcan to adults, administered the life-saving drug to the child before taking her to the hospital. She was reported to be responsive.   

“It is a shame. I really feel bad… for the child,” the neighbor said.

According to Pasco County's statistics from January to July of this year, 766 patients were administered doses of Narcan.

CDC data shows residents in Pasco County are nearly twice as likely to die of an overdose than the average Florida resident.

”It is a problem, people need to be aware of the dangers of these drugs and that’s why Narcan is out there,” said Kevin Doll, spokesperson for the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office.

Revell is charged with drug and paraphernalia possession and child neglect.