ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (FOX 13) - Over a thousand museums are offering free admission on Museum Day, and those include institutions within the Tampa Bay area.
This year, Smithsonian Museum Day falls on Saturday, September 21, in which visitors must get a ticket through smithsonianmag.com to enter participating museums. But in St. Petersburg, the city is having its own Free Museum Day, which does not require a ticket.
Here is a list of St. Petersburg museums providing free entry:
Dr. Carter G. Woodson African American Museum
2240 Ninth Ave. South
Florida Holocaust Museum
55 Fifth Street South
1901 Central Avenue
- Admission free on 1st floor
- All visitors can sign up to receive 2 Bounce back Coupons for a return visit at a 50 percent off General Admission price. Must be used by 12/31/19. Events not included.
- Retail Sales: Spend $25 and receive a free gift. Educational toys and games are buy-two get-one free. Buy 10 marbles & receive a free marble booklet.
- Must be in line by 4pm
- No large bags or backpacks allowed.
Museum of Fine Arts
255 Beach Dr. NE
- Free admission for everyone
- 20 percent discount on new memberships
- Pop up origami folding station in lobby. Fold a paper crane, fox, whale, and more!
- Family activities and games in the Marly room
The Dali Museum
1 Dali Blvd.
- Only free for Pinellas County residents, who must show ID.
- Non-Pinellas County residents can be for a regular-price admission and receive a voucher to use at another tie. The voucher is valid through October 31, 2019.
The James Museum of Western & Wildlife Art
150 Central Avenue
- Admission includes access to our current special exhibition, Environmental Impact II.
- Explore the galleries with a fun scavenger hunt and hands-on activities for kids.
- Due to the high volume of visitors there will be no public tours.
- No food or drink is permitted in the galleries. Please enjoy these inside The Canyon Cafe.
Florida CraftArt Gallery
501 Central Avenue
- "Beautiful and Bizarre" figurative ceramics invitational exhibit Is open through October 20
Morean Arts Center
719 Central Avenue
- Free Saturdays at the Morean activities for children ages 5 to 10 with a guardian in the "Bank of America Children's Learning Center"
- EXHIBITS: "Artofficial Intelligence: The 8th Annual St. Petersburg Robot Exchange" – "You Can Feel What We See: Works by Pinellas County Students" – "Morean curated at the Hermitage: Richard Seidel" (located at 151 7th St. S.)
Morean Art Center for Clay
420 22nd St. South
Featuring an exhibit of work created by their 2019-20 Artists in Residence. The 48 working artists with studios at the Center also have a wide selection of hand-made pottery and sculpture on sale in their retail areas.
The Chihuly Collection
720 Central Avenue
- The Chihuly is FREE for children under 5 and $3 for WIC and EBT card holders through the "Museums for All" program, an ongoing offer that will also apply on Sept. 21.
St. Pete Store
100 Second Ave. NE
-10 percent off store purchases, no minimum
Outside of St. Pete, there are dozens of other museums across the Tampa Bay area participating through the Smithsonian Magazine website, where you must obtain tickets.
Some options include the Tampa Bay History Center in Tampa, the Bishop Museum of Science and Nature in Bradenton, The Ringling in Sarasota, the 1885 Train Depot Museum in Brooksville, and the Explorations V Children's Museum in Lakeland.
For a full list of participating locations, check our the full list of locations on the Smithsonian's website.