1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour.
1/4 teaspoon fine salt.
1 teaspoon granulated sugar.
4 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cold
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (1/2 stick), cut into small squares.
4 to 5 tablespoons ice water.
1. Combine flour with sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse twice to incorporate. Spread butter and shortening over surface. Pulse until no dry flour remains and dough just begins to collect in clumps.
- Sprinkle water over surface and pulse until dough comes together.
- Place dough on floured surface
- Fold and press dough by hand until it comes together into a ball. Divide ball in half.
- Form each half into a 4-inch disk. Wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before rolling and baking.
Chef’s note – you may use all butter instead of half shortening/half butter.
Apple Pie Filling
3 Granny Smith apples, peeld and cored
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup butter, cut into small squares
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons cornstarch slurry (cornstarch mix with water to a heavy cream consistency)
1. Slice apples into thin slices
2. Place all ingredients in a saucepot, except for cornstarch slurry
3. Bring to a boil, lower heat. Simmer while stirring occasionally until apples are tender.
4. Add cornstarch slurry while mixing with a spatula. Cook for another 2 or 3 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to cool before using.