TAMPA, Fla. (FOX 13) - We're happy to be starting a new segment on the FOX 13 4 O'clock News. It's called One Hour Suppers with Dr. BBQ.
Here’s the recipe; you can watch the video for more tips. (If you make this, send us a photo at email@example.com.)
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into ½-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium white onion, cut into small dice
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into small dice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chiles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 cans (15½ ounces each) great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Tortilla strips for garnish (optional)
- Serrano chiles sliced thinly on the bias for garnish (optional)
- Place the chicken in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle the flour over the top. Toss to coat evenly.
- In a Dutch oven over medium high heat, warm the oil. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes.
- Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes until the onion and pepper are soft and the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the broth, chiles, salt, white pepper, cumin and cayenne if you’re using it. Mix well and bring to a simmer.
- Add the beans and mix well. Return to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes.
- Add the sour cream and half-and-half and mix to blend. If your chili is too thick, just add a little more chicken stock. Check for salt and add if desired.
- Return to a simmer and serve, garnished with tortilla strips and sliced serrano chiles if desired.
Makes about 8 servings.