TAMPA, Fla. (FOX 13) - Tired of making plain burgers for the family? Dr. BBQ helps spice things up with this week's One Hour Supper recipe.
1 pound freshly ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon granulated garlic
¼ teaspoon cayenne, optional
4 burger buns
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 slices provolone cheese
¼ cup prepared marinara
- Break the pork up with your fingers into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl combine the salt, fennel seeds, pepper, oregano, garlic, and cayenne if you are using it. Sprinkle the spice mixture evenly over the pork.
- With your hands mix the spices into the pork until well blended. Form into 4 equal patties.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Toast the cut sides of the buns on the skillet in a couple batches until golden brown. Set aside.
- Add the oil and let it get hot. Place the sausage patties in the skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until golden brown.
- Flip the patties and cook another 3 to 4 minutes until cooked through.
- Flip once more and top each with a slice of the cheese. When the cheese is melted, place a patty on each bun bottom.
- Top each patty with a spoonful of the marinara and a bun top.
Makes 6 servings