TAMPA, Fla. (FOX 13) - This week's One Hour Supper recipe is a different take on the old 'Sloppy Joe' sandwich.
Cranberry sauce is one of the surprise ingredients in this version, which also uses ground turkey in place of beef.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into small dice
- 1 medium bell pepper, cut into small dice
- 1½ lb ground turkey
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- ½ cup jellied cranberry sauce
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 hamburger buns
- 8 slices pepper jack cheese
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally for 4 to 5 minutes until the onion is soft.
- Add the turkey and cook, smashing the turkey with a spoon and mixing occasionally for 5 to 7 minutes until the turkey is mostly cooked.
- Add all of the other ingredients except the cheese and buns and mix well.
- Continue cooking and mashing the meat to break it up for about 15 minutes until the thickness is right to serve on buns. Add a little more water if it’s too thick and cook a little longer if it’s too thin.
- Top each bun bottom with a scoop of the meat mixture, then top that with a slice of cheese and the bun top.
Makes 8 servings