Fire officials: Burning candle sparked accidental fire at Hancock Center

Image 1 of 9

CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) - An accident with a candle caused a fire in a 50th floor bedroom at the John Hancock Center downtown Saturday afternoon, Chicago Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford announced Sunday evening.

The blaze left five people injured, including a Chicago Police officer, fire officials said.

Crews responded about 2:30 p.m. to the fire in a residential unit on the east side of the iconic building at 875 N. Michigan Ave., according to police and fire officials.

The fire was contained to the unit and brought under control about 3:15 p.m. A second alarm was called to bring in extra crews to help with floor-by-floor well-being checks before the blaze was officially declared extinguished shortly before 4 p.m., Langford said.

A police officer who suffered smoke inhalation was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in serious “but stable” condition, according to CPD’s News Affairs office.

Four other people were taken to hospitals with injuries including minor smoke inhalation and sprained ankles. Two were listed in good condition and two others were “stabilized,” Langford said.

Investigators determined a burning candle caused the fire, which was ruled accidental, Langford said Sunday.

Residents on the 50th floor will be displaced until repairs can be made, officials said.