Florida family says refrigerator exploded, damaging home

Image 1 of 4

A Florida family woke up to the sound of an explosion inside their home that they says turned out to be their refrigerator exploding. 

It happened Saturday morning at the home in West Palm Beach. 

The family said the explosion was so powerful, there was significant damage to the stove, the microwave, windows, the wall and the ceiling. “I was in my room I was asleep and I just heard the bang,” said Mark Ligondie.

A neighbor heard the explosion and the fire alarm and ran over to help the family get out safely, WPTV reported.

“The fridge exploded and if you look at this angle right here it expanded and expanded so much it bent the metal of the stove,” Ligondie told WPTV.

The family's four-month-old Whirlpool refrigerator was left in pieces scattered throughout the kitchen, Ligondie said. Luckily, no one was hurt.

After the incident, WPTV reached out to Whirlpool for comment and they responded with the following statement, "Whirlpool is committed to providing safe products for consumers. We are working quickly to look into this incident."