Parents argue to regain custody of young cancer patient

Image 1 of 3

Joshua McAdams was the first witness called Monday to testify in the contentious custody battle over his son, Noah McAdams. Throughout most of his testimony, McAdams was combative and evasive with Florida assistant attorney general Kenneth Beck. 

Beck questioned McAdams about his prior domestic violence episodes, including the time he was Baker Acted as a teenager.

"Did you break the windows in your house?" asked Beck.  

McAdams acknowledged throwing a toy through a house window out of frustration. 

Joshua McAdams and Taylor Bland-Ball are fighting for custody of their 4-year-old son Noah after he was removed from their care during a dispute over Noah's treatment. 

Noah's mother described her son in the days before his diagnosis.

"A little more tired, didn't want to go outside, just wanted to stay in," she recalled.

April 4 at Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital, she got the devastating news - he had acute lymphoblastic leukemia.

"I kind of went into shock after that point," she said.

Reluctantly, she said she agreed to the induction phase of chemotherapy, questioning doctors about side effects and researching other treatment options.

"I don't think I could ever be comfortable just fully putting these things into my son's body that I didn't know what exactly they were, that no one had really explained to me but I thought that it was more risky to not do it at the time," Bland-Ball said.

That is where testimony paused for the day.

As the court continues later this week, Bland-Ball will describe, in her own words, what happened next.

Officials say after two rounds of chemo, Noah's parents missed his third treatment and took him to Kentucky to try natural remedies. 

The Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office tracked them down and returned the family to Tampa. After removing Noah from his parents' custody, a judge ruled the 4-year-old would continue his chemo. 

But in court, Beck revealed Noah's mother Taylor had removed a pick line from Noah's arm that doctors inserted for his treatment.  Prosecutors are suggesting Noah's parents put him at risk of a serious infection.

During testimony, Joshua McAdams told the prosecutor he believes Noah's doctor was dishonest and could not be trusted,

"Her body language, and she looked nervous and uncomfortable answering our questions," said McAdams. 

After the two-day trial, a judge is expected to rule on who will be granted custody of Noah McAdams.