Teacher at residential school for girls died in bathroom, wasn't found for days

Image 1 of 7

He died at work on a Saturday, and his body went unnoticed for two days. 

The Pasco County teacher was found by a co-worker Monday morning in the bathroom.

Loved ones say Tim Guy was a passionate educator, who cared deeply for his co-workers and students. For nearly a decade, the 58-year-old worked at the Central Pasco Girls Academy.

"We would hear about how his girls' test scores were, and how he felt like he was making a difference in their lives,” said Ryan Guy, Tim’s son. “When he wasn’t teaching there he was teaching at the jail, and helping people who otherwise might not have the opportunity to get their GED."

Ryan said his father loved his job, and on Saturday, April 13, went in to do some tutoring. Tim signed into work that day, but never signed out.

“I came into work Monday morning, at about 9:30 I got a phone call from the Pasco County Sheriff's Office saying that my father was missing," explained Ryan.

Deputies were called to the female juvenile residential facility just after 7:30 a.m. According to the incident report, a co-worker discovered Tim dead in the bathroom. He had been there nearly 48-hours.

"How could you miss someone that checked-in and didn’t check-out," Ryan said.

We took that question to the company that runs the facility, along with the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice.

“TrueCore mourns the passing of our colleague Tim Guy, a well-respected and long-tenured school district employee. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family. TrueCore is reviewing all information available at this time including relevant policies and procedures.”

A spokesperson for the Department of Juvenile Justice tells FOX 13 News they're investigating if staff followed all protocols and rules.

“We at the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice are saddened by the sudden and tragic passing of our colleague, Tim. Our prayers are with his family at this difficult time, and we send them our heartfelt condolences. Mental health counselors have been employed to assist both the staff and youth with this tragedy. Our department is investigating this matter to determine if contracted provider staff followed all applicable policies and procedures.”

"We still have no idea about what happened,” said Ryan. “I don’t know that we’ll ever get an answer to that."

Because officers determined Tim died of natural causes, no autopsy was done. Ryan says Tim didn't have any major medical issues.

The family hopes changes are made so something like this doesn't happen again.

“I would trade any amount of money in the world to just be able to see him again," Ryan said.

According to Ryan, his dad was treated at the hospital a few weeks ago for an upper respiratory infection. He said doctors think Tim likely died from a cardiac episode.