Petito's body was discovered on Sunday at the Spread Creek Dispersed Campground in the Bridger-Teton National Forest more than a week after she was reported missing and her remains were identified this week. Her death is being investigated as a homicide.
On Tuesday, lawyer Richard Safford gave a statement on behalf of Petito’s family after she was identified.
"I want to personally thank the press and news media for giving the Petito and Schmidt family time to grieve," Stafford said in a statement. "We will be making a statement when Gabby is home. I will contact you to arrange a time and location."
Gabby Petito's stepfather lays stone cross and flowers at the exact spot where her remains were found in Wyoming's Bridger-Teton National Forrest (FOX News)
Investigators have now shifted their focus to finding Petito’s fiancé Brian Laundrie who authorities have been looking for since he wasn’t at his home as expected last Friday and his parents admitted they hadn’t seen him since that Tuesday.
Laundrie is considered a person of interest in the case but has not been named a suspect and police say he isn’t wanted for a crime.
He and Petito embarked on a cross-country trip in a converted van last summer and her family last spoke to her when they were believed to be in Teton National Park in late August. Days later, Laundrie arrived home to Florida by himself.
Get updates on this story from FOX News.
- FBI confirms Gabby Petito's remains found in Wyoming; manner of death 'homicide'
- How social media sleuths can help -- and hurt -- a case like Gabby Petito's
- Gabby Petito investigation: 911 call reveals Brian Laundrie seen hitting, 'slapping' her before disappearance
- Gabby Petito’s possible remains found near where Tampa family spotted camper van
- FBI removes loads of evidence from Laundrie family home in connection with Gabby Petito's disappearance
- Gabby Petito updates: Everything known about her disappearance
- Gabby Petito case: Timeline of 22-year-old woman's disappearance
- Police speak with TikTok user who claimed to give boyfriend Laundrie a ride
- Gabby Petito's family, North Port police chief express frustration with Brian Laundrie's silence
- Missing woman's haunting songs on Spotify account may provide answers
- Gabby Petito showed behavior of victim in Utah bodycam video, domestic violence counselor says