CLEARWATER (FOX 13) - It is going to be a Christmas to remember for a Clearwater family, but not because it is going to be especially merry. Their home on the 1400 block of Union Street was destroyed in a fire Monday morning.
The call about the blaze came in shortly after 7 a.m. Clearwater and Dunedin firefighters responded to the scene and evacuated nearby houses as a precaution.
The blaze was quickly brought under control and firefighters were able to prevent the fire from spreading to adjacent properties, according to Clearwater Public Safety.
Authorities say one person was home at the time of the fire and was able to get out safely.
"It's unlivable," said Denita Johnson amid tears, who rents the house with her husband and son.
The inside of the house is charred, and the roof has a gaping hole.
It appears that the blaze started in the master bedroom at the back of the house. Christmas presents, which were hidden under the bed, are now gone.