Pets rescued from house fire in Clearwater

Image 1 of 2

A Clearwater home sustained heavy damage in a fire Saturday evening.

The blaze happened around 7:30 p.m. at a home on Lake Avenue South. 

Firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the single-story home when they arrived at the scene.

The residents of the home were able to escape the fire uninjured. Several pets, including snakes and lizards, were rescued, however one cat did not survive.

One of the firefighters suffered a hand injury and had to be taken to Morton Plant Hospital. He has since been treated and released.

It's unclear what sparked the fire.