TAMPA (FOX 13) - Pumpkin isn’t just for the fall season. The versatile ingredient can last through the rest of the year, especially if it can be used in a soup dish for the chilly holiday nights.
This coconut curry pumpkin soup recipe includes coconut milk and a pumpkin puree. Out of all the spices, curry powder is the the main star. If you like curry, feel free to add a tad more powder than what the recipe calls for, but don’t go too overboard.
This specific recipe provides a serving size for four people.
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil - 2 tablespoons
1 small onion, chopped
2 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. curry powder
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cloves
3 cups pumpkin puree
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 cups vegetable stock
1 14-oz. can coconut milk
Pumpkin seeds (to garnish)
1) Heat oil in a large pot. Add in the chopped onions and sauté until they become translucent.
2) Add garlic and ginger. Stir until they become fragrant.
3) Add the rest of the spices: curry, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Season with salt and pepper.
4) Stir in the pumpkin puree and brown sugar. Whisk in vegetable stock.
5) Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the soup thickens.
6) Add coconut milk.
7) Serve in bowls. You can add pumpkin seeds as a garnish.