TAMPA, Fla. - This seafood dish is basic fun with some store-bought puff pastry, Vanessa says. It's a simple salmon spread pinwheel recipe.
The amount of ingredients used in Vanessa' recipe is good for 8 total pinwheels.
Watch the video above for directions; here's what you'll need to make it:
- 1/2 pound salmon, skin off
- Fresh dill, 1 tsp. chopped, plus 1 large sprig for poaching
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks of green scallions, chopped
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 tbsp. sour cream
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. Tabasco sauce
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 clove garlic, minced
1) Remove puff pastry from freezer to thaw.
2) Fill a deep pan with a couple inches of water, add diced sweet yellow onion, and one large sprig of dill. Bring to a boil.
3) Reduce heat so poaching liquid is at a simmer (just under boiling) and add salmon fillet. Cook for about 15 minutes, until the fish is thoroughly cooked through and dark pink is gone from the meat.
In a mixing bowl add fish, cream cheese, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, 1 tsp. of chopped dill, chopped scallions, and salt and pepper. Mix together until everything is thoroughly combined.
4) Place mixture in the fridge to firm up (at least 20 minutes). **Please monitor your puff pastry. If the dough is starting to become warm, you may want to place it in the fridge until you are ready to roll your pinwheels.**
5) Preheat oven to 400°F.
6) On a floured surface, lay out a sheet of puff pastry. Spread salmon evenly over the dough and roll dough up from one edge to the other.
7) Slice off 1-inch slices and lay flat on parchment paper-covered sheet tray. Evenly space out pinwheels to give them room to expand.
8) In the microwave, melt butter and minced garlic together, then brush butter over the tops and sides of each pinwheel.
9) Place in a 400°F oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, until pastry is golden brown and salmon spread starts to show a little browning as well.
10) Garnish with a little chopped dill.