Apartment complex fire leaves several displaced

More than a dozen tenants of an apartment complex in Tampa are displaced following a fire Sunday that  appears to have started in a kitchen.

Dina Gatheright, who lives in the unit of Rivertree Landing Apartments where the fire started, told FOX 13 her electric stove malfunctioned and sparked the flames.

But Gatheright said her fire extinguisher didn't work properly so she couldn't try to put it out  herself.

"The house was consumed in fire and black smoke within a minute," she said. "[My daughter] starts  school in three days, so how am I supposed to recover?"

Hillsborough County Fire Rescue crews were able to contain the fire in a matter of minutes after they  arrived.

"For the most part, the bulk of the fire was extinguished really quickly," said Division Chief Mike  Guincho. "It looked like it was a kitchen fire and the crews were able to knock that down very  quickly."

There are no sprinklers in the building. The 13 people living in the four-unit building were all  displaced.

This is the second fire at this complex since March.

FOX 13 contacted the apartment management, who has not yet responded.