Crews install free smoke alarms for homeowners

Image 1 of 2

Pasco County Fire Rescue crews came out to a Port Richey neighborhood Saturday to make sure homeowners have working smoke alarms.  

On August 20th, a two-alarm fire in that very neighborhood seriously injured a man and killed more than a dozen dogs that were in the home. The male victim is a dog breeder.  Smoke alarms were not blamed in that case - the cause was determined to be a generator explosion - but the incident drew fire rescue crews back out over the weekend to check neighbors on their fire preparedness.

"Sunday's generator explosion and resulting fire should be a warning to us all," said Pasco County Fire Rescue Division Chief Shawn Whited. "Every home needs to have working smoke alarms and we're proud to be partnering with the Red Cross to protect our neighbors in Pasco County."

Volunteers went door to door, installing free smoke detectors for anyone who needed them.

Pasco County Fire Rescue and the American Red Cross want to remind everyone of the importance of having at least one working smoke alarm. A working smoke alarm is recommended inside and outside every bedroom and on every level of the home.

Pasco County residents who don't have a smoke alarm can request a free alarm through The American Red Cross Home Fire Campaign. Just visit and click on the "Request a Smoke Alarm Here" link.